Thursday, January 3, 2013

Getting Started

Wow, I am overcome by this idea - this burden to help missionaries. While checking Twitter one day, I noticed a new follow, FaithLauncher.
"Who are they?" I pondered.
Turns out, they share a similar interest in that they help with the funding of faith-based projects. For a long time, I've wanted to do great things in missions on a large scale. I wondered for awhile if this was a God-send for I had many missions-related dreams sharing my heart. I decided to casually check them out by stopping by their site while at the library one day.
"Various projects; a few worthwhile causes", I estimated.
"How about one that can further the Gospel in a big way? Nah, I'm not sure that I would be successful at something like this..." I thought to myself.
But, knowing that one cannot walk anywhere without taking the first steps, I decided to sign up and submit my project...

The following week, I talked on the phone with the coach they assigned. His name was Fernando. We got to know each other and come to find out, he has a heart for missions work too.
We talked over the goals and plans that I had. He advised that I should select from all that I dreamed of doing and focus on that one.
"But which one?" I questioned within myself.
My homework that week was to pick one and find the exact amount that we were going to work to raise - then we'd talk about it the same time next week.

That day, I talked with one of the missionaries that I was thinking about fund-raising for. He happened to be my father-in-law who had come home on furlough (a period of time when missionaries return to the States to report to their supporting churches). He and his family were ones that I had followed on Facebook for awhile, reading their reports of church services in spite of sub-zero temperatures. They and their small church had sacrificed much to meet together in the first church of its kind. I had the privilege of visiting Ukraine for about a week during a two-month missions trip to Russia and not only watch them in ministry but participate with them as they distributed the Gospel, shared the Gospel in their neighborhoods, and built by hand the church building themselves. This they do to save money.

Though I might go alone at first, I'm starting this project and carrying this torch. There are so many missionary families out there that give of themselves to further the Gospel - somebody needs to do something while most of us Americans enjoy the comfort of living here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment